Year the Scheme was introduced: October.10th.2019.
The Government introduced this programme to provide pregnant women, new mothers and new-borns with quality healthcare facilities for zero cost. This programme was launched by the union health and family welfare minister Dr Harshvardhan with the other health ministers of the state on October.10.2019 during the 13th conference of the centre of health and family welfare in New Delhi. This Scheme aims to reduce the rates of mortality of maternal and infants in the nation. To decrease the mortality rates, they are providing stress-free birth to the mother as well as the new-born. They take the complete initiative of the mother and the new-born. They support the mother in breastfeeding and also, they provide all the services for free. And all the new-born are provided vaccination for free.
Reason for implementation
The following are the reason for the implementation of this Scheme in the country:
1. This Scheme aims to provide good and quality healthcare at zero cost to all the pregnant women and the new-born child who visits the public health facility.
2. All the pregnant women and the new-borns under this Scheme are provided free healthcare services which are four alternative check-ups and six home-based visits to the new-borns to all the women after delivery up to 6 months from the date of delivery.
3. This Scheme also helps in the identification and management of all the complications faced by pregnant women during pregnancy for zero expenses. The government also provides the travelling facility to the parent and the new-born from home to the health facility and back home after discharge from the health facility.
4. If any complications with the pregnant women regarding the delivery, then she will be availed all the facilities for the delivery for both C-Section and normal delivery for zero expenses in the public health facilities.
5. And this Scheme makes sure that there will be zero tolerance for denial of any services to any such patients availing these benefits.
The following are the causes of Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan:
1. The main cause for the introduction of this Scheme is to bring down the maternal and infant mortality rate and also to completely stop the death rates of the mother and the new-borns.
2. This Scheme also makes sure that the parent gives birth to the child in a positive mind-set and also with a stress-free birth environment.
After the implementation of this Scheme there is a decrease in the mortality rates of both maternal and the infants. Maternal mortality rate earlier in 2004 to 2006, 254 deaths were reported to every 1000 now after the implementation of this Scheme it has reduced to 130 between 2014-2016. Whereas in case of Infants it was 4 for every 1000 now it is 34.
According to the government, India’s maternal mortality rate had declined from 254 per 1, 00,000 live births in 2004-06 to 130 in 2014-16. Between 2001 and 2016, the infant mortality rate came down from 66 per 1,000 live births to 34.
The SUMAN helps to stop maternal and new-born deaths and ensures providing quality health care and zero cost to pregnant women and even gives free service for sick new-borns and supports breastfeeding. It ensures to get down the maternal and infant mortality risk in the nation and give them quality health care with an early initiative for pregnant women and new mothers and new-borns.