Minimum Experience: 8
Maximum Experience: 10
The Team: Morningstar’s Legal & Compliance team supports Morningstar’s global business entities, including its non-financially regulated businesses and those registered with and governed by regulatory authorities. Our legal experts work to protect our intellectual property and make sure we continue to conduct business with uncompromising ethics. Our compliance professionals help each Morningstar business entity adhere to the rules and regulations of the local regulatory authorities
The Role: Morningstar India Private Limited is looking at hiring a Legal Manager, to provide legal support to Morningstar’s businesses in India. This position will report into Morningstar’s legal team and work closely with Morningstar’s local Compliance team and, will be based in Mumbai.
- Provide pro-active, practical, qualitative and cost-effective legal support and guidance to different business functions on all kinds of legal matters, including but not restricted to labor laws, property/real estate laws, information technology and data privacy laws, intellectual property laws, trademark laws etc.
- Draft and/or review and negotiate on legal contracts/agreements/documents, including vendor contracts, retainer contracts, non-disclosure agreements etc., to make sure that they (a) are complaint with all applicable laws, (b) incorporate all of Morningstar’s internal policy requirements and (c) take care of the organization's interests.
- Draft and/or vet and negotiate on MOUs, bank guarantees, indemnity bonds, undertakings, authority letters and other such legal documents, while ensuring that they (a) are complaint with all applicable laws, (b) incorporate all of Morningstar’s internal policy requirements and (c) take care of the organization's interests.
- Work on implementing Morningstar’s global contract management processes in India for maintaining the legal contracts, templates and standard documentation of the organization, provision of training for sales and other staff members and for extracting MIS reports.
- Draft and provide timely replies to legal notices.
- Provide regular and timely legal advisory, statutory updates and legal dashboards to senior management/business heads.
- Be the local liaising point for and deal with external legal counsels and other legal consultants, and be the conduit between the organization and external legal counsels/legal consultants, keeping in mind that in playing this part, the organization's best interests shall be taken care of.
- Monitor and assist with ensuring compliance of various statutes applicable to the organization
- Liaise and/or deal with Government and quasi Government departments, courts, tribunals etc. as and where required.
- Work with external legal counsels on litigation and arbitration matters, if / as and when they arise.
- 8-10 years of post-qualification legal experience, having worked as part of an in-house legal team in the KPO/data/software/financial services industry.
- Excellent English spoken and drafting skills.
- Experience in providing legal and documentation support for all strategic business decisions.
- Expertise in dealing with a wide variety of legal matters.
- Expertise in providing practical legal solutions to the organization and devising strategies to solve and mitigate legal issues.
- Excellent relationship management and negotiation skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, demonstrating pragmatic, proactive, flexible, and creative behaviors.
- Proven capabilities in liaising with Government and quasi Government departments, court, tribunals and external agencies.
- Responsive, ability to balance and prioritize goals.
- A strong team player with good engagement and collaboration skills with diverse group of people.
- Excellent internal and external communication skills and strong client focus.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Experience with Salesforce and advanced MS Office is strongly preferred.
- Experience of working for a multi-national organization with exposure to international legal practices, laws and policies will be highly regarded.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in law (LLB or LLM) is essential.
EOE Statement: Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer