Education Qualification: Law Degree
Minimum Experience: 10
As a Legal Counsel, your mission is to enable business to conduct operations within acceptable level of legal risk, Safeguard compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies & Lead and advise on legal risk within area of responsibility. You will play an important part in Sandvik’s Legal Support function in India, supporting the Sandvik Mining & Rock Technology Business Area with business in Region India. Responsibilities include providing comprehensive legal support to the SMRTIPL team. Your place of posting is flexible (Kolkata/Pune) and reporting to Manager - Legal Support (APAC), Sandvik Mining & Rock Technology. Local Compliance Officer will report to this role.
- Sandvik Safety & Environment Policy’s, Systems and Programs are understood and communicated to all direct reports. Be familiar with and comply with proper health and safety practices and Visibly and personally participate in safety activities to show safety's importance. Sandvik Customer receives appropriate information regarding Sandvik EHS Policy, philosophy, performance and standards
- Ensure compliance of Sandvik Core Values & Code of Conduct
- Leading legal and compliance function within the area of responsibility
- Independently handle (draft, review and negotiate) all types of commercial contracts and tender conditions in Sandvik’s business (supply, sales, maintenance, procurement contracts, etc.)
- Guide and advice on distribution and agency set-ups.
- Advise on legal disputes and handle litigation/arbitration matters.
- Advise on real estate issues and construction projects.
- Advise on various internal policies of Sandvik.
- Draft legal opinions and risk assessment reports as when required.
- Track legal and regulatory updates and share important updates with the legal team.
- General legal advice to business and other legal matters as required.
- Work with external legal counsel on specific matters ranging from litigation to expert advice requests within expected cost constraints.
- Continue current initiatives to develop global sales templates, training and processes to complement the Global Sales Commercial Approval System
- Lead efforts to facilitate business unit compliance with the Sandvik Way policies, and SMRT procedures, laws, and regulations governing the business in relation to Anti-bribery and Corruption (ABC), Competition Law, Trade Compliance, Data Privacy & Cyber Security, and Conflicts of Interest.
- Focus on supporting and oversighting India based investigations (whistleblowing) in accordance with the Speak Up system and the Speak Up Policy.
- Accountable for Screening Commercial Intermediaries in the region of responsibility, new and legacy.
- The candidate should have Law (LL.B) degree from recognized university & will have at least 10 years’ experience preferably from both a leading law firm and an appropriate in-house experience in a multi-national company which includes minimum 5 years as leading an legal function. Previous experience in the mining, construction, manufacturing and/or technology/digital sectors will be considered as a merit.
- Broad knowledge in the field of compliance, anti-corruption, trade, data privacy and competition law is required
- Experience of analysis of complex issues. Attention to detail, ability to communicate in a concise and lucid manner and willingness to marshal the relevant facts is important.
- Experience in development and execution of process audits, and in the development of new processes/policies/procedures;
- Ability to understand key tactics and business drivers affecting the organization.
- Ability to gain the confidence and respect of the business management and to communicate effectively and clearly with the business leaders across the Company in a manner that engenders trust and confidence.
- Ability to provide confidence in the quality and effectiveness of services provided by the Legal Department, to ensure that legal advice is sought proactively at all appropriate stages.
- Additionally, must have excellent interpersonal skills, are able to build trust and establish respectful working relationships with difficult stakeholders at all levels, by clearly communicating verbally and in writing, appropriately debating difficult issues and by being a quick thinker.
- Team development skills, strong computer skills including advanced experience with Excel and PowerPoint, and superior presentation skills (both physical and electronic).
- Able to manage time effectively, prioritize without micro-management, and be fluent in English at minimum.
Sandvik offers a comprehensive total compensation package including a competitive benefits package of health and disability insurance, and retirement savings plan. In addition, we provide opportunities for professional competence development and training, as well as opportunities for career advancement.