The offshore Legal and Compliance Department in Mumbai is an extended arm of global Legal & Compliance teams – Litigation Support being one of such teams. This role will report to a senior level manager. Primary internal stakeholders include attorneys supporting Morgan Stanley’s Wealth Management business, members of the Intake Unit and Litigation Support team in Mumbai and onshore.
Primary Responsibilities (Day Job)
- Review third-party subpoenas to determine the required response.
- Communicate with sending counsel in the US with regard to deadlines, parameters of subpoena, and to gather any additional information needed to respond to subpoenas.
- Retrieve a wide variety of documents, stored in paper and electronic form, from a variety of Firm systems and applications.
- Compliance with Legal Department policies and procedures for issuing litigation holds, locating documents, and keeping a record of steps taken to retrieve documents
- Organizing redacting and staging documents for production
- Prepare letters responding to subpoenas.
- Preparing reports and MIS
- Performing Quality Control & Audit checks for final delivery of requests
- Manage flow of daily task/requests through effective queue & SLA management
- Presentation to Management for updating the progress on process improvements on a monthly/quarterly basis
- LLB (Lawyer)
- 3-5 years of experience
- Industry experience will be an added advantage
- Solid track record working in a professional environment
- Candidate with prior legal operations/reference data background will be an added advantage
Knowledge and Competencies
- Should exhibit comfort working with technology and the ability to learn and display proficiency on technical systems and programs. Proficient with MS Office (Excel proficiency is required – specific focus on excel macros)
- Understanding of legal documents and terminologies will be an added advantage
- Basic understanding and exposure of US Law and terminologies will be an added advantage
Skills and Qualities
- Applicant must be a self-starter, able to work independently.
- Must be able to interact with a variety of individuals, in person and by telephone
- Must be highly detail oriented and meticulous about searching for documents in various locations and keeping a record of those searches
- Must be able to learn a variety of firm systems in order to access firm documents.
- Team player who can successfully manage multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to anticipate ahead of time and escalate issues as appropriate
- Pragmatic and analytical problem solving skills – candidate needs to consistently apply sound judgment
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills – ability to effectively correspond with various groups and senior professionals over e-mail and telephone
- Must be able to maintain a high level of organization under pressure
- Successfully meet established deadline – display efficient time management skills
- Possess the ability to research and resolve issues independently
- Ability to identify and recommend process efficiencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with colleagues across regions and Business Units.
- Have the ability to effectively handle a fast-paced environment
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management, and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.